Monday, March 9, 2009

News on the Homefront...

It's been quite awhile since I blogged and I thought that I'd update you all if you still read this as to what is going on in our lives.

I'll start with myself, since most of the rest of everybody's news revolves around changes in me. I have completed the process to start substitute teaching. I actually had my first subbing job last Tuesday and have worked every day but today since then. I was scheduled to work today, but started feeling ill last night and it continued throughout the night so I called in sick this morning. I have loved it so far. It's been great experience and I am learning a lot about classroom management and keeping kids busy :) So far so good though. I also am finishing up my coursework for my Bachelor's degree. I have four courses I'm finishing this semester, and then 3 that I am taking during the summer. I actually just printed out my "Graduation Application" tonight and filled it out to submit in the next couple of weeks! I will be adding a second major to my degree meaning that I will have a Bachelor of Science degree in both Education and Psychology. I am so thrilled. I have also started researching different options for my credential program. Because of the current education crisis in California, the original plan of me going into a district intern program is not a good idea. I can't foresee school districts hiring a non-credentialed teacher when they are laying off teachers. In the meantime, I will work on getting my teaching credential and substitute teaching where and when I can, gaining experience and networking with schools, increasing my chances of getting hired when I am able to be.
All of that being said, Chris is changing his work hours to 4 days a week at A-1, and the other day he'll be at home with the kids in the morning. We will then have my dad stay with them for the couple hours in the afternoon. I will be working 4 days a week also, having a different day off so that I can finish up my year as the MOPS Co-Coordinator and then also taking care of the other things that pop up in life, (i.e., doctor's appointments, dentist appointments, school stuff, etc.). The rest of the week the kids will be starting preschool in the next few weeks. I am excited for them and they are excited about it. We have found a local christian preschool that is affordable and has open spaces for younger kids. Thankfully they are working with us on taking Joshua since he is not potty trained. They prefer to have them potty trained, but are making exceptions for us. We have been so blessed to have found this preschool and that there are spaces available.
We went to San Francisco a couple of weekends ago. It was a last minute trip down there to visit with Chris' grandparents and to get out of the house for awhile. We ended up going to the Aquarium of the Bay and had a blast. The kids really liked seeing all of the different fish and sharks and such. They got to touch a bat ray (like a sting ray) a leopard shark and some starfish and urchins. There was one bat ray that just kept swimming in circles up near the top of the water so that we could pet it. The kids were troopers through the whole day despite not getting a nap. Toward the end of the day Joshua started getting ornery but wasn't horrible.
Joshua and Charlotte peeking in the peepholes before going into the Aquarium of the Bay.One of the Bat Rays that we got to pet later on the tour.The Leopard Shark that Charlotte got to pet.Joshua "smelling" the flowers... or eating them... not sure which. :)Looking at the Sea Lions out on the pier.

My grandma is coming into town next weekend and I am over-the-moon excited about it! It has been about 2 years since she's been here and we miss her so much. I grew up with her around the corner from our house and I sure miss her now that she's down in Mexico. The last time she was here, Joshua was only 4 months old and Charlotte wasn't quite 2 yet. They both have grown up so much in that two years. My mom and I can't wait for her to see them and get to know them a little more. We have been telling Charlotte about it for a couple of weeks and she is excited too. She'll ask me periodically, "When is great Grammy coming??? Grammy's mommy. Grammy is mommy's mommy." She is too funny. We miss you Grandma and can't wait to see you!

That's about it for now. I'll write more later. I know I keep promising to write sooner, but life gets in the way. I'll try and write again soon!

Heidi and the rest of the Ramey Family!

No comments: