Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Choose more...

I have begun helping out with the senior high youth at our church. This is something I feel like I've been called to do for awhile, and it's a small part that I can help connect with some young people, make a difference, and it doesn't take much preparation, other than getting the kids and I ready and there on time. I really enjoy meeting the youth, and since I'm planning on teaching this age group, it's a great fit. Kathy, our youth secretary, spoke tonight, and she really touched my heart. She was my inspiration for this blog, and the "change I want to be!"

Any time I tell someone that I'm planning on teaching middle/high school age kids, they tell me I'm crazy. Why is that? I'll tell you why I think it is. I think this world has gotten a hold of the word teenager and twisted it and changed it to be something that many teenagers are not. The world expects teens to do drugs, be disrespectful, skip school, have sex, break laws, have abortions, rebel, curse, and the list goes on and on. I'm not naive enough to say that teens don't do these things. But I, as Kathy did tonight, pose the thought that, perhaps they do these things because that's what we expect out of them. Brian Tracy once said, "Whatever we expect with confidence, becomes our own self-fulfilling prophecy."

Is this what God calls us to though? Did God mean for us to limit our youth and future generations to this type of behavior? I think not. There are tons of examples in the Bible of young people stepping above the expectations of their time to achieve God's will and plan for themselves and the nations around them. Kathy spoke of three people tonight: George, Clara and David. George was an 11 year old who was incredibly proficient in math, and became a surveyor at a young age. At the age of 12 he became ward to his younger brother when his father died. Successful, he ended up becoming the first President of the United States. That's right, George Washington. Clara, was accomplished in dealing with medical care. At a young age, she founded the American Red Cross. David, at the age of 11 went on his first voyage across the oceans. At 12 he was given the position of Captain of the ship. When one of his shipmates challenged him, he took it in stride, and threatened the man with his life if he continued his rebellion. The man never came back up to challenge the David. David Farragut was his name, and he was an Admiral in the US Navy in 1812.

On the way home tonight, I started considering what society expects of me, and what I expect of myself. Is it aligned with what God expects of me? Probably not. The world's expectations of me are far different than God's. Sure, both the world and God expect me to follow the laws, treat others fairly, etc. But the world expects me to look a certain way, listen to a certain music, accept popular culture, and be okay with the rampant sin that exists in this world. God, however, has a very different view. He expects me to trust in Him, believe in Him as my Savior, and turn away from what the world has to say/think. He is my Father and truly wants what is best for me. The world may say that they do, but I know that is only as long as I give something in return.

So, I pose this question... what are your expectations for yourself? For the youth of our society? I was asked tonight, what I would change if I could change anything in the world. My answer to that would be that I would change people's views of the youth. So I'm starting here. Thank you for reading this, and I pray that you would take a minute and get to know a young person around you. To really open yourself up to them, and get to know them. I don't mean just hang out with them once per week, but to really get involved in their life. Check out the things that they are into, see the world from their eyes, because I guarantee you will be changed. There are some amazing young people out there, and I pray that you will have an impact in their greatness.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I know you will do wonderfully with the youth. You were wonderful to raise and didn't do all those things... well, maybe one or two. I couldn't ask for a better daughter to raise. I hope I made an impact in your life like you will do with your children. Both yours personally, and those you teach. They are all your children.....